1 in 5 working age adults will have experienced a mental health disorder in the past week and 1 in 3 have an existing health condition. Physical and mental health are closely linked, which is why it is critical that we look after ourselves. At Randox Health, we offer a variety of tests that can help you identify any underlying conditions that may be affecting your mood.
Did you know hormone levels can affect both mood and mental health?
- Low testosterone is associated with anxiety, depression, insomnia and irritability.
- An imbalance in oestrogen and progesterone can cause depression, irritability, mood swings and anxiety.
- Thyroid hormones act as mood regulator and can impact emotions and energy levels.
Did you know that vitamins and minerals can affect our mental health?
- A deficiency in vitamin B12 or folic acid can cause depression, irritability, and brain fog.
- Low iron can increase risk of anxiety, depression and sleep disorders.
- Iron overload (haemochromatosis) can be linked to depression and irritability.
The wide range of symptoms associated with hormones, vitamins, and minerals can have a significant impact on quality of life. Therefore, early identification and treatment are critical to effectively managing symptoms, minimizing complications, and improving your overall mental health. To find out more click here.
If you’re struggling with your mental health get in touch with any of the below numbers at any time of day:
Lifeline: 0808 808 8000
Samaritans: 116 123
Childline: 0800 1111
PIPS (Public Initiative for Suicide Prevention): 0800 088 6042